TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - OK so wire colors and pinout positions look the same but >>
People Seeking Info

Subject OK so wire colors and pinout positions look the same but >>

Posted by WE350Z on August 18, 2009 at 10:57 PM
  This message has been viewed 839 times.

In Reply To 1991 OBD Pinouts / Pic posted by chromaone on August 18, 2009 at 03:00 PM

Message question remains do they terminate where they are supposed to on the ECU. Also where are pin 10 and 11 going? The clock rate is fixed (according that diagram is 153.6 KHz. or 153600) not sure how to measure that without an oscilloscope.

I know on the Cisco routers I have configured when interconnecting 2 routers you must carefully configure serial ports to have the correct clockrate on the DCE (Data Communications Equipment) side which in this case should be the OBD port off the ECU. You must also configure the DTE (Data Terminal Equipment) with the same settings but it does not receive a clock rate. If it's not configured properly the line link will NOT come up and the routers will NOT be able to communicate.

If you are to connect to the router via the console port you need an adapter to convert from the Ethernet port to a DE9 RS232 serial interface which you can then connect to your PC serial port.

[ http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps214/products_tech_note09186a00801f5d85.shtml ]

You then can use a PC with a terminal program to connect to the router via it's console port using the following settings:

Bits per second - 9600
Data Bits - 8
Parity - None
Stop Bits - 1
Flow Control - Hardware

These settings are hardware dependent though I think this is pretty typical.

I think clock rate depends on the native interface controller for the port (i.e. RS232 Serial, etc...)

One thing I have noticed and perhaps you should try is that I seem to only be able to connect Conzult software on my laptop to my OBD port successfully when I connect my Blazt serial cable via a DB9 to USB adapter. It also worked with the Nissan Consult and on their laptop with the Blazt USB cable when I was at specialty Z. I'm not sure why this works and I wish I could do this somehow for my R-VIT.

I am not an EEE and my knowledge of electronics is limited but I would think someone with this type of knowledge could compare a working vehicle with a non-working vehicle and determine what the issue is.

It's possible that different ECUs have different chipsets with different clockrates perhaps that the R-VIT and certain other devices are very sensitive to this I don't know. What doesn't make sense then is why the '91 ECU i just bought doesn't work when this seems to be a year most people traditionally have success with. I haven't compared the chips in each of my ECU's but MAYBE Nissan bought chips from various vendors for certain model years. Maybe only certain chips are highly compatible.

We know power works in all cases, which mean ground must too. Data must work since I can use the USB adapter to connect my laptop and get realtime data. Maybe it's a clocking issue but why do people have success with the TechTom's then?

Maybe there is some sort of device to intercept and adjust the clockrate so that the interfacing device can sync properly. Maybe this can be done via a proxy server of sorts using an old laptop. First step would be connecting something like HyperTerminal and actually getting the link established via the blazt USB cable (Conzult obviously does this somehow) then translating out the serial port. As what the pin mappings are and if the R-VIT would actually read from the laptop serial port that's another story.

I beleive it should be possible, obviously there is some reason it works on some cars and not others.

OK - I am done writing this novel. I might just try tinkering with the laptop a little.

2000 BMW X5 4.4i
1993 300ZX Twin Turbo
1985 Nissan 300ZX NA (Sold)
WE350Z at gmail dot com
http://WE350Z.com

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.